Canadian Honky-Tonk Bar Association

Rejoice, you have a voice, if you’re concerned about the destination, of this great nation,
We represent the hardhat, gunrack, achin’-back, over taxed, flag-wavin’, fun-lovin’ crowd!

Sunday, January 23, 2005

Happy Anniversary Abortion

Well after Greg's SSM post, this may not be the favourite blog for social conservatives, but this is the first time Roe v. Wade had an anniversary since I started my blog so I'll have one social post before I start to bitch about taxes again.

I'll start off saying I am not pro-life (that makes me pro-death? well I'm already anti-family because of my SSM position, so I guess I can be in favour of death too). I do not think this post is against Christianity, or any other religion, because I do know many Christians that are pro-choice because they simply do not believe a fetus is a person. So please, no one comment that I'm against religious people because I'm really not, I'd say I'm more indifferent.

I am also not pro-choice. I have real trouble saying where I fit on this issue. I have thought about this hard, and I still officially have no opinion. I do not think libertarians have to be pro-choice. I am against murder, so if abortion is murder, I'd have to be against it. I do find it very hard to accept abortion as being murder. If I heard that thousands of people were murdered in North America every year, I'd be very upset... yet I'm not upset about abortions happening. I can't get behind the pro-life cause.

I think any cut-off point where we say a fetus is a person has to be arbitrary. Whether it be self awareness, conception, birth, heart beat, whatever, nothing defines a human. I can see arguments for all of these, and I don't know where to draw the line. I will basically agree that the day before birth is too late, but the day after conception is too early to set the cut-off. So say half way through pregnancy for arguments sake

The only way abortions should be allowed after this point is if the mother's health is in danger. After that, the mother missed her window. Notice that I did not say rape can be used as an excuse. If abortions are murder, wouldn't saying a rape victim can have an abortion be equivalent to giving her a free pass to murder just because she had been victimized. In my world where I said that abortions should be at about half way through the pregnancy, this should be fine since they still have 4.5 months to have the abortion if they choose. What I do not understand is those that feel abortion is murder from conception allowing rape victims to have abortions. Sure they didn't choose to have the baby inside of them, but isn't it still murder?

People that know more about fetus biology than I do (read: anyone that has ever taken a biology class after grade 10) should be arguing about the specific point where a fetus becomes a life, but I just can't buy that a fetus is a person, with all the same rights as me, the day after a female gets pregnant. This is not an issue that matters to me all that much, I would be able to vote for a party that has a pro-life or a pro-choice position on this. My views on this are not a set position that I feel can never change, if anyone has any links that they think can change my position, please put them in the comments.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home