Canadian Honky-Tonk Bar Association

Rejoice, you have a voice, if you’re concerned about the destination, of this great nation,
We represent the hardhat, gunrack, achin’-back, over taxed, flag-wavin’, fun-lovin’ crowd!

Thursday, January 13, 2005

Union grievance

So I figured out that I approximately pay union dues equal to 45 min of salary a week. I think of this as the union stealing 45 min of my time, so for 45 min per week I try to find ways out of paying union dues. It seems the only way to get rid of the union is to get 40% support and then do a bunch of other stuff, but since the union I’m in has thousands of members over an extremely large area, I cannot accomplish this in a 4 month co-op term. Since we love communism in Canada, I do not have the simple choice to not pay union dues.

Does anyone know of a way to claim that I should not be under union representation? I think I have a strong case since vast majority of the union is more blue-collar work while I am in the finance department. No one else on my floor or in my department is even in the same union as me. No union rep has contacted me at all, I wouldn’t even know how to go about finding who to contact. They do nothing for me, yet I am forced to pay over 2% of my salary that I earned to this anonymous group. I don't want to be in the union even if it were free, I view this arrangement eqivalent to paying someone to punch you in the stomache every week.

As anyone that has ever worked in an office knows, the key factor for work place environment is supply of coffee. I have to go down 8 floors to a place in the lobby or go down 9 floors and walk into the Eaton’s center to just buy coffee. Both non-union co-op jobs I had in previous terms had free coffee available to me within a 20-meter radius. So my working conditions are severely worse with union representation. At least give me my money back so I can put it towards coffee!

I will use the remaining union time for the week to go for a coffee break now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home