Canadian Honky-Tonk Bar Association

Rejoice, you have a voice, if you’re concerned about the destination, of this great nation,
We represent the hardhat, gunrack, achin’-back, over taxed, flag-wavin’, fun-lovin’ crowd!

Thursday, December 08, 2005

More on guns...

In my rushed post here after first hearing about the proposed Liberal ban on guns, I forgot to mention possibly the most obvious argument against this. How much will this cost? Canada has about 1 million hand guns (from Coalition for Gun Control). I don't know what the average handgun's market value is, but from a search around Google it seems that if you are paying $300 you are getting a good deal. So there must be guns that are way more expensive than this too. If the government wants to pay the fair market value for handguns, a very conservative estimate would be $500/gun on average. So let's make my almost completed math degree come to use here with this equation:

$500/gun * 1 million guns = HALF A BILLION DOLLARS

This isn't counting any administration and enforcement costs, plus maybe my estimate of $500 was too low. Do they also pay the gun owners for their now useless bullets? I am not sure on how many bullets the average gun owner would have, but I think $30 worth would be fair maybe, which adds on another $30 million. Either this $30 million will be paid extra by the government to these people, or they will be forced to eat their loss which is completely unfair to them. Not to mention the costs and time these people went through to get certified and register their guns. The gun registry was supposed to cost in the low millions, and it ended up over a billion. If the initial projection for this is over half a billion already, how high will this go?

4 Comments:

At 11:56 AM, Blogger William Joseph said...

I wasn't sure about the bullets, when I saw sites they had tons of ranges for bullets from $15 to well over $100 depending on quantiy and other factors. I wasn't sure what an average gun owner would have on hand.

 
At 6:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I do not think hand gun ownership in Canada is parallel to that of the US. For example, I obtained a concealed carry permit here in Michigan after training and testing.

In any case, I have several hand guns which would retail used for $2,500 to $3,000.

I have 200 to 1000 rounds for each gun (2 use the same .45 ACP rounds).
The cost varies significantly for "range" vs. self-defense, but I'd guess at least $500 for ammo.

If there are blogs for gun owners in Canada (haven't checked) like Geeks with Guns, Kim du Toit, Of Arms and the Law, etc., you could survey them.

BTW, my favorite hand gun was made in Canada by Para Ordnance.

 
At 9:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Come on, I'm sure they'll let you keep your ammunition. After all, it's not like anyone could ever manufacture an homemade firearm. Especially not in Canada.

 
At 10:57 PM, Blogger William Joseph said...

But the ammunition that they let gun owners keep will be useless to them. Unless they want to go to a shooting range and throw the bullets really hard. This will either cost millions of dollars to buy back, or you effectly made their private property useless.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home