Canadian Honky-Tonk Bar Association

Rejoice, you have a voice, if you’re concerned about the destination, of this great nation,
We represent the hardhat, gunrack, achin’-back, over taxed, flag-wavin’, fun-lovin’ crowd!

Sunday, February 13, 2005

Bias In Education

I'm in 4th year university now, more and more I am noticing a trend, my classes are spouting their right wing propaganda at me. For instance, I was going though my actuarial science flash lectures today (distance education) and my prof makes a remark that the only party in Canada to impose a government monopoly on insurance is the NDP in 3 provinces, taking away from the proper free market pricing. Then said the current BC government will probably allow more freedom, as if this was a good thing. I mean come on, have some respect for the left.

In third year I had a finance prof that used to work at the Fraser Institute. He actually had the gall to claim that he hoped to have a united right (pre-merger obviously) to have lower taxes. He spent my valuable class time explaining to me how corporate tax cuts benefit all Canadians. We are at university here, aren't you supposed to be teaching me about how corporations are evil? I mean, stop it with all this 'logic' and 'facts'!

I've heard of one finance prof, during 2004 election, give a rant on why everyone should vote Conservative. My business policy prof openly wanted Kerry to the lose the election. I had my first year micro-economics prof explain why free trade benefits everyone the very semester before my macro-economics prof showed us a graph showing speed of economic development in third would countries with better trade policies was much faster. The same micro-economics prof also explained that our union and minimum wage laws are partially responsible for our higher unemployment rate than our southern neighbors.

I hope someday we can get rid of this conservative bias in our universities. My profs should know better than using proof to validify their comments, this is simply unacceptable to me. (sorry this was just to gloat to all of you that are in programs with all lefty profs!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home